Friday, June 30, 2017

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Aimee Shaye


1. When/why did you decide to become a writer? *

I first decided that I wanted to be a writer when I wrote my first short-story at the age of 13 for my 8th grade English class. We were able to write about whatever we wanted and I wrote about a girl who gets abused by her step-father and takes refuge in her brother’s best friend. My English teacher loved it and told me I should publish it. 
2. What authors inspired you when you were younger? What books do you enjoy reading today? *

I read such a variety of authors when I was younger like Shel Silverstein, Jerry Spinelli, R.L. Stine, Beverley Cleary, Patricia Polanco. All of these authors inspired me to write. Now, I enjoy reading young adult, dark-fantasy, epic fantasy, steampunk. Some of my favorite authors are Sherrilyn Kenyon, Nicholas Sparks, and Jay Kristoff.

3. What was the inspiration behind your latest release? *

The inspiration behind my newest release was my life. "Silenced," is a true story masked under fiction due to name changes, event changes, and age changes to protect those involved. 

4. Were any of the characters personalities or emotions taken from real life? *

Yes. As I said before, "Silenced," is a true story masked under fiction. I was in an emotionally abusive relationship for four years and couldn't figure out how to get out of the relationship. My then best friend (now my fiance), really helped me through the hardest time and he supported me in writing this story. I'll never forget the words he said: "Even if it doesn't help you heal, maybe it will help someone else heal or leave their relationship that is just as traumatic as yours was."

5. Why do you write in your chosen genre? What other genres would you like to try your hand at? *

I don't just write one specific genre. I genre hop. I do that because I genre hop when I read, so it only makes sense that I'd do it when I write. The genres I write in are the same genres that I read. And I have a habit of getting inspiration and telling myself, "Wow! This book was great! I wonder what would happen if it were set in a different time under different circumstances," and so I write a whole new story.

6. What would you do if you were your main character? *

Considering I am my main character in "Silenced," one thing I would do is listen to my parents when they told me that I was in over my head. This is not something I added to the novel but a lot of people told me that the relationship I was in wasn't healthy. That he was trying to separate me from my family and therefore causing arguments and pinning one against the other. I should have known better.

7. Will we ever see these characters again? *

Yes! In fact, my fiance authorized me to tell his story (the story of Cooper Reynolds) in the upcoming release of "Shattered" which will also be labeled "Fiction" to protect those involved but also because I will be telling the story of Cooper based on what I know of my fiance's story.

8. Would you like to see this book as a film or TV show? If yes, who do you want to see play your characters? *

Yes, one day I would love to see it as a movie. I don't know who I'd want to see play it, but definitely a goth actress! 

9. Where do you see yourself and your career in the next ten years?

In ten years, I see myself with a publishing company, re-releasing my novels under their name instead of Amazon.

10. Is there anything you haven't touched on that you'd like readers to know about your book? *

I want my readers to know that emotional abuse does not always look the way it does in my book. That emotional abuse can come in many ways: if he's telling you not to wear a certain piece of clothing, if he's not letting you see your friends, if he's telling you that no one--not even your parents--care for you the way he does, he is emotionally abusing you. He's making you feel as if he's the only one you can trust and that is not the case.

11. What would you be doing if you weren't writing? *

I would be teaching, which I already do! 

12. Can you tell KSR what you're working on next? *

I am working on several new books at this time. I have a series, “The Chronicles of the Seven Sons,” which already has two published books in it (“Destroyed” and “86”), so I’m in the process of writing book three, “Elixir.” I am also working on a spin-off series to close what may seem as a plot hole from “86,” called “Hunters of the First Order.” I am also working on the sequel to “Silenced,” titled “Shattered.”

13. What authors, dead or alive, would you like to collaborate with? *

I would LOVE to collaborate with Sherrilyn Kenyon, especially since we both write fantasy mixed with Greek Mythology!

14. What are three things that may surprise your readers to know about you? *

1) I am mixed. Dad is Guyanese and mom is Polish and Irish. 2) I love to dance to Bollywood music and I'm rather good at it. 3) I'm only 23 years old.

15. Please list your links where readers can find you online and purchase your works. *

No comments:

Post a Comment