Friday, September 2, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Rebecca M. Gibson







1. When/why did you decide to become a writer? *

I've always loved to read and write. My parents made a point of reading to me every day when I was a child, which I think is so important. I was encouraged to read and to be excited about it. Writing then just became a natural hobby. It wasn't until I was a teenager though when I started to really think about being a professional writer. There's nothing more enjoyable to me than writing! 

2. What authors inspired you when you were younger? What books do you enjoy reading today? *

As with most of my generation, Harry Potter was a HUGE part of my childhood. Not only did it teach me to fall madly in love with literature, to tumble into the pages and completely forget the outside world, it taught me that good can triumph over evil if you work hard enough. The pages of a Harry Potter book will always be home to me. Equally as important to my voice as a writer is the poet Wilfred Owen. To say he changed my life would be putting it mildly. He sparked my interest in history, in particular war history, and my emotive style. I had all but given up writing as a pipe dream until I discovered Owen and words came alive again. Seriously, none of my books would have been created had I not discovered Owen.

3. What was the inspiration behind your latest release? *

History and emotions. As mentioned above I'm really interested in history but not just dates and facts. I love looking into people's experiences, their thoughts and emotions, how they coped with situations, what - essentially - makes us human. I have a degree in Psychology so that has inspired me to really get into my character's heads and see what makes them tick. I want to create real, raw characters and I think with Annabel in Diamonds Fall, I succeeded.
4. Were any of the characters personalities or emotions taken from real life? *

Not deliberately but I'm sure I've drawn from life sub-consciously. Obviously I've not been kidnapped or attacked, I've not been in the trenches of the First World War, so obviously those things are just research but sure, I'm sure life's had its impact.
5. Why do you write in your chosen genre? What other genres would you like to try your hand at? *

Being so interested in history, I just want to experience the past. As I've not yet invented a time machine, I write stories instead. I would love to try my hand at loads of genres though. I'm currently planning an apocalyptic, contemporary novel and have a fantasy thing in the works too so I want to try it all!!!
6. What would you do if you were your main character? *

Annabel goes through so much in Diamonds Fall and has to find a lot of inner strength to keep going. I like to think I'd be strong too but you never know until you're in those situations. She is rich so superficially, I'd love to try on her dresses, drink tea, and eat cake in her mansion!
7. Will we ever see these characters again? *

Yuuuup. Rubies Fall is the sequel to Diamonds Fall and is out on November 11th!
8. Would you like to see this book as a film or TV show? If yes, who do you want to see play your characters? *

Hell yes! I have no idea who I would have play the characters (any ideas?) but I'd LOVE to see Diamonds and Rubies as a BBC series. That really is a pipe dream though!
9. Where do you see yourself and your career in the next ten years?

I want to keep growing as a person and as a writer so I would like every book to be better than the one before. Hopefully in 10 years I've secured writing as a career and got life a little more sorted - I'm 24 so my story is only just beginning!
10. Is there anything you haven't touched on that you'd like readers to know about your book? *

It's awesome...
11. What would you be doing if you weren't writing? *

Oh man, I can't think of anything I would do other than writing. Something in history or publishing perhaps.
12. Can you tell KSR what you're working on next? *

I'm working on my WW1 novel Rubies Fall for release November 11th, which I'm incredibly excited about. I'm also working on my novella After the Noise Dies for the SASS Anthology which has had AMAZING beta feedback. People cried (yes!). I can't reveal the release date yet but stay tuned!!
13. What authors, dead or alive, would you like to collaborate with? *

Wilfred Owen but I don't think he'd like me. JK Rowling would also be amazing to meet. I don't know if I'd collaborate with anyone though...I like flying solo.
14. What are three things that may surprise your readers to know about you? *

I have a twin, fun fact!
15. Please list your links where readers can find you online and purchase your works. *

https://www.rebeccamgibson.com

No comments:

Post a Comment