Friday, July 17, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: "Intransigent" by Cameo Renae

Title: Intransigent (The After Light Saga #3) 



Author: Cameo Renae 
Genre: YA Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopian 
Publisher: CHBB Expected Release Date: June 19, 2015 
Cover Design: Regina Wamba at Mae I Design Photography 
Hosted by: Lady Amber's Tours 

Image 

Blurb:  
Arriving at the new government bunker, things quickly go from bad to worse. I am separated from Finn and my family because of my ability to connect with Arvies through telepathy. Housed with three other Readers—and kept away from the general population—we are given serum injections in effort to enhance our thought transference. The end goal? Thought manipulation. 

We are considered humanity’s only hope in the war against the Arvy race. 

With the ever growing threat of an invasion, the government demands results from the Reader program by doling out ultimatums, and using our loved ones against us. 

But they will not break me. 

My name is Abigail Park. I am intransigent. 

Image 

Author Bio:  Voted 2013 Break Out Author by Young Adult & Teen Readers, and 2013 Book of the Year (Hidden Wings).   Cameo Renae was born in San Francisco, raised in Maui, Hawaii, and recently moved with her husband and children to Alaska. She's a daydreamer, a caffeine and peppermint addict, loves to laugh, loves to read, and loves to escape reality. One of her greatest joys is creating fantasy worlds filled with adventure and romance, and sharing it with others.  One day she hopes to find her own magic wardrobe, and ride away on her magical unicorn. Until then...she'll keep writing!  HAPPY READING!  
 Follow Cameo on: Facebook * Blog * Website * Twitter 

Buy Links: 
ARV-3 (Book #1): http://smarturl.it/r43d0q Sanctum (Book #2): http://smarturl.it/ARV-Sanctum 
Intransigent (Book #3): http://smarturl.it/intransigent 



****

My Review:

I had a few favorite young adult books and authors I read when I was a teen, and whom I still read now. Most of those wrote fantastical, unrealistic fiction. I tried reading the popular YA books out today (I don't need to name them, you all know which ones I'm talking about) but I found that they fell short somewhere, be it in emotional tones, excitement or even in plot.
This is the book teens (and adults) should be reading. The plot, the easy continuity from the previous book, the characters and the general feel of the book are wonderful. I stayed up late just to finish it!
Abigail is a delight to read about. She's sweet, smart and can kick butt with the best of them. She has amazing and troublesome mental abilities, but she can also handle a gun with ease that few YA girls have ever shown. She has fear, and she has doubts, but she never lets them get her down for long. She has amazing determination, great love and strength. Young girls can really look up to her.
The minor characters are also people you come to know and care about, and you are never sure just who to like and trust. Things in this book aren't always what they seem, and the reader will be swept along in the excitement just like Abi is.
Her relationship with Finn is very minimal, it is definitely not the main part of the story, which I loved. The last thing we need is a great dystopian novel ruined by too much mush. Cameo keeps things light with the romance, but heavy with the emotion. You are inside Abi's mind in this book, so her feelings really resonate with the reader.
The Arvies, the mutants, are sort of left to the imagination in terms of looks, which I also love. It gets the readers' minds working. As does the uncertainty of who Abi can and cannot trust. There are twists and turns right up to the very end.
A wonderful book I will reread again in my spare time.

5/5--a must-add to your TBR list!

No comments:

Post a Comment