Thursday, August 28, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Marilyn Peake

image



1. When/why did you decide to become a writer?

     I wanted to be a writer since I was in elementary school.  In high school, I took a Creative Writing class, wrote for several local newspapers and had my own column in one of those papers.  I wrote my first novel in the 1980’s, ended up writing three “practice” novels that really aren’t publishable, and then finally wrote THE FISHERMAN’S SON, the first novel I ever published, in 2002.  By the time I finished writing THE FISHERMAN’S SON, I knew beyond any shadow of a doubt that I definitely wanted to be a writer.

2. What authors inspired you when you were younger? What books do you enjoy reading today?

     When I was very young, Dr. Seuss books.  Later on, I enjoyed reading NANCY DREW mysteries.  In high school, I started reading poetry and literary books.  I fell in love with literature and language then.  My favorite books in high school were classics and literary novels.  Today, I enjoy reading books in almost every genre.

3. What was the inspiration behind your novel Shade?

     I’m very interested in what’s happening in the news, as well as psychological and social issues.  When I decided to write a YA novel, SHADE evolved out of my concern over an issue frequently covered in recent news stories.

4. Do you, personally, believe in ghosts?

     I wouldn’t say that I believe in ghosts, but who knows what’s out there?  I certainly know that mysterious events occur in life that we can’t always explain.

5. Why choose such touchy subjects as human trafficking, self-mutilation and alcoholism?

     I include those subjects in my writing because they upset me.  It’s sad and unfair that so many people around the world suffer deeply, and how many girls are mistreated.  I like to write novels and short stories that help shine a light on the darkness in our world.

6. Were any of the characters based on real people?

     No, I created them as I wrote the novel.  I ended up admiring Shade’s spunky and brave nature.  She was a joy to write.

7. How would you behave if you were Shade?

     I’m not sure I would have been as brave as Shade.  I probably would have had too much difficulty dealing with her mom to be effective.  I like to think I’d be as courageous as Shade, but I’m not sure.  She had a lot of obstacles to overcome.

8. What would you be doing if you weren't writing?

     If I had the opportunity, I’d love to travel and do travel photography.

9. Where do you see yourself and your career in the next ten years?

     With how rapidly the publishing world is changing, that’s really hard to say.  I plan to have many more novels and short stories published; but, beyond that, I don’t have a clear picture of where my career will be.

10. What author, dead or alive, would you like to collaborate with?

     It would be great to collaborate with Hugh Howey.  He’s one of the authors bringing indie publishing into the modern world, and his books are fantastic.

11. Can you tell KSR what you're working on next?

     I’m actually writing a fan fiction short story set in Hugh Howey’s WOOL universe, and I have his blessing to publish it.  I’m also beginning to plan out my next novel in the SHADE series.  I plan to write five more SHADE novels: one set in Shade’s senior year of high school and then one additional novel set in each of Shade’s four years of college.

12. Would you like to see a film/TV show of Shade? If yes, what actors would you like to see play your characters?

     A film or TV show of Shade would be awesome!  I can’t even imagine who I’d like to play my characters, that seems more dream than reality at this point in time.

13. What other genres would you like to try your hand at?

     I’ve written some Science Fiction and would like to write more of that.  I’d also like to try my hand at writing in the Literary genre.

14. What would you most like readers to take from Shade?

     I’d like readers to understand how someone like Shade, someone who’s down on their luck and from a tough home situation, might have enough inside themselves to become a real hero.

15. Thank you for participating in the interview. Can you please leave the readers with three things that may surprise them about you?

     Hmmmm.  Well, I almost smacked into the roof of a beach hut while parasailing in Cancun, Mexico many years ago.  As a young child, I ran after a bunch of wild ducklings and caught one, only to have it poop all over me in nervousness. (I never again attempted that sort of feat.)  Last year, I went to Ireland and fell in love with that country. (Also, while in Ireland, I did not smack into any buildings or pick up any ducks.  I did, however, see many sheep.)

Find Mrs. Peake online via:

Official site

Goodreads

Twitter

Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment