Tuesday, August 12, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW: Chantal Bellehumeur

image



1. When/why did you decide to become a writer?

I don’t think I ever really decided to be a writer.  I kind of just happened.  I always loved to write but never really thought about publishing anything until somebody told me I should.  Before that, I was more interested in acting and performed in several plays plus was an extra in movies, television shows, and commercials.

2. What authors inspired you when you were younger? What books do you enjoy reading today?

No author inspired me really, even if I enjoy reading their books. 
I used to read more suspense and horror books.  I read a bit of everything now, mostly indie books though.  I write reviews upon request.

3. What was the inspiration behind your short story series about Emily?

The first story ‘’A Mother’s Love’’ was based on my experience being pregnant at a young age and falling in love with my baby. The other stories that followed were inspired by memories I had of motherhood and things my son or other young children I knew did.  Emily actually has a daughter in the stories; not because I would have preferred a daughter over a son, but just to make things different.  Also, my son’s name backwards is Nadia so I had Emily name her daughter Nadia as kind of an inside joke.

4. Why decide to put them in a collection after their initial individual publications?

The Suburban Online Magazine is not well known because it is associated with a local newspaper. Although I posted links to the free stories each month when they came out or e-mailed people the links, not everyone followed the stories from the very beginning. Although each story can be read as a stand alone, it is more fun to read them all.  I figured this would be a good way for people to read all the stories back to back. 
Also, the link of each online magazine changed after they were archived, so if people did not go to them on time, they would miss out on the stories.  Unless they knew to go to the Suburban website, click on the magazine tab and look into the archives, my stories were not read.  Plus, not everyone liked to read them online because they found it too difficult but could not be bothered to print the pages.  There was an interest for a paperback.

5. Were any of the characters based on real people?

 Emily was based on myself and my sister.  Nadia was somewhat based on my son, but as a girl. 

6. Would you like to see the Emily stories in a TV miniseries? If yes, what actors would you like to see portray your characters?

It could be interesting.  I never thought about it so am not sure who I would want to portray my characters.  I don’t think I would want well-known actors to portray them.  I would not mind seeing new faces so people could associate them with my specific characters.

 

7. Can you tell the readers a little about your other works?

I have 10 books of various genres available to purchase on Amazon + short stories published in The Suburban Online magazine + short stories and poems featured in anthologies + motherhood memoir in compilation book.

Visit my Website for all the details: http://author-chantal-bellehumeur.webnode.com/

Fictional diaries:
Veronica’s Soap Opera Life
Veronica’s Attempt at Romance
Veronica’s Happily Ever After

Novels:
Just.Another.Common.Killer
Just.Another.Common.Killer (Special Edition, which includes the short story “Mary Kelly’s Diary", coming this fall)
Thirteen-A Compilation of Short Stories
Hope
Sdrawkcab (fantasy novel)
Not Alone

Emily-A Compilation of Short Stories

My Memoir of Motherhood

Other publications include:

Short poem “Hiding in the Wilderness,” which reads like a story, and short story “Born to Sing,” in the “2014 Aspiring to Inspire Woman Writer’s Anthology.”
Poems in the poetry anthology “Words of fire and Ice.”
Short stories “Rain or Shine” and “The Experiment Gone Wrong” in the anthology “Summer Shorts II: Best Kept Secrets.”
Memoir of motherhood in the compilation book “They Call Me MamaBear” put together by author Amber Royce.

[I included the Amazon purchase links below.--KSR]

8. Will you continue to publish short stories in The Suburban?

I might in the future, but am not working on anything for the magazine at the moment.  My stories where the first and only works of fiction published in the Suburban Online Magazine.  Although I was very flattered to have been given the opportunity to write the stories for the magazine, most readers go there to find articles not fictional stories.
I was approached by Durham Editing and e-books earlier this year and my work was featured in three of their anthologies so far.  I love working with them and find that my short stories are being seen by the right audience.  Two of the books actually became bestsellers, which made me quite happy. 

9. If you were in Emily's situation in the first story, what would you do?

I was in Emily’s situation and I did the same thing as her.  ;)

10. Can you tell KSR what you're working on next?

I am currently working on two things.
First, because of all the positive reviews and comments I received for my feel good book Not Alone, I am working on the sequel Really Not Alone.  I have the first part written, and will work on the second part when I return from my trip because I am going when my character is going; Niagara Falls.
The second thing I am working on is a friendship memoir, for submission in Durham Editing’s memoir anthology.  I talk about how my best friend Sarah and I met, and how close we still are despite the fact that she lives in Europe now.  I also describe the times I went to visit her in London, England as well as Belgium. The travel journal I have came in handy.

11. Where do you see yourself and your career in the next ten years?

I write as a hobby, but I seem to be gaining more exposure and getting more people interested in my work so you never know where this could take me. 

12. What would you be doing if you weren't writing?

I can’t really imagine myself not writing at this point.  It’s like a breath of fresh air to me.
Maybe acting, although I am pretty rusty now.  I prefer the stage over camera acting but my voice does not really carry so that’s a problem.  I always needed a dramatic role where I yelled a lot to be heard by everyone in the audience.  Lol. Mind you, if I had a mic it might be better. 
I love reading too, so maybe I would do official book reviews for extra money.  Right now I just do it for the pleasure of it.

13. Emily loves going on cruises. What's your dream vacation?

Actually, I love going on cruises too.  It would be kind of cool to do a long cruise around the world, but I could never afford it.  I love traveling in Europe because of its history, and down south because of the sun. 

14. Do you love Halloween as much as Veronica or are you more reserved like Emily?

I LOVE Halloween.  It’s my favorite holiday.  I use to morph my home into a haunted house like Veronica does and scare people for fun.  It’s very time consuming though, and most of my friends grow out of going to Halloween parties and visiting haunted houses.  I used to continue doing it for my son and his friends, but he said it was too spooky.  So, now I just dress up in a scary costume and help my superintendent pass out candies in the lobby ever year.

15. Thank you for participating in the interview. Can you please leave the readers with three things that may surprise them about you?

It was my pleasure!  Thanks for hosting me.
Now, three things that may surprise readers about me.  Humm…
At first glance, people who don’t know me are surprised that I wrote a horror novel.  Those who read Just.Another.Common.Killer are always surprised that I wrote it because it is very gory and they say I look so innocent.  I guess there is a dark side to everyone.  ;)
I don’t know if this qualifies as surprising, but I love to sing or dance when I do housework to make it more entertaining. 
When I am in full writing mode, I sometimes forget about my real life until my bladder is full and I am starving.  Then, and only then, will I take a break.

 

10 books of various genres available to purchase on Amazon + short stories published in The Suburban Online magazine + short stories and poems featured in anthologies + motherhood memoir in compilation book. Click here to get reading!

Find Chantal online via:

Official site

Facebook (LIKE page)

YouTube

Digital autograph requests

Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment